70. Gonsamo, A., Chen, J. M., He, L., Sun, Y., Rogers, C., & Liu, J. (2019). Exploring SMAP and OCO-2 observations to monitor soil moisture control on photosynthetic activity of global drylands and croplands. Remote Sensing of Environment, 232, in press.
69. Gonsamo, A., Ter-Mikaelian, M.T., Chen, J. M., & Chen, J. (2019). Does Earlier and Increased Spring Plant Growth Lead to Reduced Summer Soil Moisture and Plant Growth on Landscapes Typical of Tundra-Taiga Interface? Remote Sensing 11(17).
68. Peng, J. C Wu, X Zhang, X Wang, and A Gonsamo (2019). Satellite detection of cumulative and lagged effects of drought on autumn leaf senescence over the Northern Hemisphere. Global change biology, 25: 2174– 2188.
67. Wu, C. X. Wang , H. Wang , P. Ciais, J. Penuelas , R. Myneni, A. Desai, C. Gough, A. Gonsamo, et al. (2018). Contrasting responses of autumn leaf senescence to daytime and nighttime warming. Nature Climate Change, 8, 1092–1096.
66. Luo, X., Chen, J.M., Liu, J., Andrew Black, T., Croft, H., Staebler, R., He, L., Altaf Arain, M., Chen, B., Mo, G., Gonsamo, A., McCaughey, H. (2018). Comparison of big-leaf, two-big-leaf, and two-leaf upscaling schemes for evapotranspiration estimation using coupled carbon-water modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 123, 207–225.
65. Wang, X., Wu, C., Peng, D., Gonsamo, A., & Liu, Z. (2018). Snow cover phenology affects alpine vegetation growth dynamics on the Tibetan Plateau: Satellite observed evidence, impacts of different biomes, and climate drivers. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 256, 61-74.
64. Pfeifer, M., Gonsamo, A., et al. (2018). Tropical forest canopies and their relationships with climate and disturbance: results from a global dataset of consistent field-based measurements. Forest Ecosystems, 5(1), 7.
63. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen & Y. W. Ooi (2018). Peak season plant activity shift towards spring is reflected by increasing carbon uptake by extra-tropical ecosystems. Global Change Biology, 24, 2117-2128 .
62. Luo, S., Chen, J.M., Wang, C., Gonsamo, A., Xi, X., Lin, Y., Qian, M., Peng, D., Nie, S. and Qin, H. (2018). Comparative performances of airborne LiDAR height and intensity data for leaf area index estimation. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 11, 300-310.
61. Gonsamo A., J.-M. Walter, J.M. Chen, P. Pellikka & P. Schleppi (2018). A robust leaf area index algorithm accounting for the expected errors in gap fraction observations. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 248, 197-204.
60. Wang, X., Wu, C., Wang, H., Gonsamo, A., & Liu, Z. (2017). No evidence of widespread decline of snow cover on the Tibetan Plateau over 2000–2015. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 14645.
59. He, L., Chen, J.M., Croft, H., Gonsamo, A., Luo, X., Liu, J., Zheng, T., Liu, R. and Liu, Y. (2017). Nitrogen availability dampens the positive impacts of CO2 fertilization on terrestrial ecosystem carbon and water cycles. Geophysical Research Letters, 28, 11,590-11,600.
58. Filewod B., A. Gonsamo & S.C. Thomas (2017). Satellite observations of leaf area index decline following a spring 2010 heatwave in Ontario’s northern temperate forests. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 43,
57. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen, S.T.Colombo, M.T. Ter-Mikaelian & J. Chen (2017). Global change induced biomass growth offsets carbon releases through increased forest fire and respiration of the central Canadian boreal forest. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 112, 1275–1293. Research highlight in EOS magazine: The Future Hangs in the (Carbon) Balance
56. Peng, D., Zhang, X., Wu, C., Huang, W., Gonsamo, A., Huete, A.R., Didan, K., Tan, B., Liu, X., Zhang, B. (2017). Intercomparison and evaluation of spring phenology products using National Phenology Network and AmeriFlux observations in the contiguous United States. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 242, pp.33-46.
55. Gonsamo A., P. D’Odorico, J. M. Chen, C. Wu & N. Buchmann (2017). Changes in vegetation phenology are not reflected in atmospheric CO2 and13C/12C seasonality. Global Change Biology, 23,4029-4044
54. Liu, Z., Wu, C., Peng, D., Wang, S., Gonsamo, A., Fang, B. and Yuan, W. (2017). Improved modeling of gross primary production from a better representation of photosynthetic components in vegetation canopy. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 233, 222-234.
53. Wu, C., Peng, D., Soudani, K., Siebicke, L., Gough, C.M., Arain, M.A., Bohrer, G., Lafleur, P.M., Peichl, M., Gonsamo, A. and Xu, S. (2017). Land surface phenology derived from normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) at global FLUXNET sites. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 233, 171-182.
52. Peng, D., Zhang, B., Wu, C., Huete, A.R., Gonsamo, A., Lei, L., Ponce-Campos, G.E., Liu, X. and Wu, Y. (2017). Country-level net primary production distribution and response to drought and land cover change. Science of The Total Environment, 574, 65-77.
51. Gonsamo A. & J.M. Chen (2016). Circumpolar vegetation dynamics product for global change study. Remote Sensing of Environment, 182, 13–26. . Click to download the circumpolar vegetation dynamics (CVD) product.
50. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen & D. Lambardozzi (2016). Global vegetation productivity response to climatic oscillations during the satellite era. Global Change Biology, 22, 3414–3426.
49. Liu, Y., Wu, C., Peng, D., Xu, S., Gonsamo, A., Jassal, R.S., Arain, M.A., Lu, L., Fang, B. and Chen, J.M (2016). Improved modeling of land surface phenology using MODIS land surface reflectance and temperature at evergreen needleleaf forests of central North America. Remote Sensing of Environment, 176, 152–162.
48. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen, D.T. Shindell & G.P. Asner (2016). Coherence among the Northern Hemisphere land, cryosphere, and ocean responses to natural variability and anthropogenic forcing during the satellite era. Earth System Dynamics, 7, 717-734. Research highlight in Nature Climate Change: DETECTION AND ATTRIBUTION: Coherent change across systems.
47. Walther, S., M. Voigt, T. Thum, A. Gonsamo, Y. Zhang, P. Koehler, M. Jung, A. Varlagin, & L. Guanter (2016). Satellite chlorophyll fluorescence measurements reveal large-scale decoupling of photosynthesis and greenness dynamics in boreal evergreen forests. Global Change Biology, 22, 2979-2996.
46. Wu, C., Hou, X., Peng, D., Gonsamo, A., & Xu, S. (2016). Land surface phenology of China’s temperate ecosystems over 1999–2013: Spatial–temporal patterns, interaction effects, covariation with climate and implications for productivity. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 216, 177-187.
45. Chen, B., J. Liu, J.M. Chen, H. Croft, A. Gonsamo, L. He & X. Luo (2016). Assessment of foliage clumping effects on evapotranspiration estimates in forested ecosystems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 216, 82-92.
44. He, L., Liu, J., Chen, J.M., Wang, R., Sprintsin, M., Croft, H., Zheng, T., Ryu, Y., Pisek, J., Gonsamo, A., Deng, F., & Zhang, Y. (2016). Inter- and intra-annual variations of clumping index derived from the MODIS BRDF product. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 44, 53-60.
43. D’Odorico, P., Gonsamo, A., Gough, C. M., Bohrer, G., Morison, J., Wilkinson, M., Hanson, P.J., Gianelle, D. Fuentes, J. D. & N. Buchmann (2015). The match and mismatch between photosynthesis and land surface phenology of deciduous forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 214-215, 25-38.
42. Froelich, N. Croft, H., Chen, J.M., Gonsamo, A., & Staebler, R. (2015). Trends of carbon fluxes and climate over a mixed temperate–boreal transition forest in southern Ontario, Canada. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 211–212, 72-84.
41. Gonsamo A. & J.M. Chen (2015). Winter teleconnections can predict the ensuing summer European crop productivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112, E2265–E2266.
40. Xu, S., C. Wu, L. Wang, A. Gonsamo, Y. Shen, & Z. Niu (2015). A new satellite-based monthly precipitation downscaling algorithm with non-stationary relationship between precipitation and land surface characteristics. Remote Sensing of Environment, 62, 119-140.
39. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen, & P. D’Odorico (2015). Underestimated role of East Atlantic-West Russia Pattern on Amazon vegetation productivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112, E1054–E1055.
38. Gonsamo, A., J.M. Chen, H. Croft, C. Wu, N Froelich & R.M. Staebler (2015). Radiation contributed more than temperature to increased decadal autumn and annual carbon uptake of two eastern North America mature forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 201, 8-16.
36. Chang, K. H., Price, D. T., Chen, J. M., Kurz, W. A., Boisvenue, C., Hogg, E. H., Black, A.T., Gonsamo, A., Wu, C. and Hember, R. A. (2014). Simulating impacts of water stress on woody biomass in the southern boreal region of western Canada using a dynamic vegetation model. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 198, 142-154.
35. Wang, F., J.M. Chen, A. Gonsamo, B. Zhou, F.-F. Cao & Q.-X Yi (2014). A two-leaf rectangular hyperbolic model for estimating GPP across vegetation types and climate conditions. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 119, 1385–1398.
34. Wang F., A. Gonsamo, J.M. Chen, T.A. Black, and B. Zhoud (2014). Instantaneous-to-daily GPP upscaling schemes based on a coupled photosynthesis-stomatal conductance model: correcting the overestimation of GPP by directly using daily average meteorological inputs. Oecologia, 176, 703-714.
33. Wu C., D. Gaumont-Guay, T.A. Black, R.S. Jassal, S. Xu, J.M. Chen & A. Gonsamo (2014). Soil respiration mapped by exclusively use of MODIS data for forest landscapes of Saskatchewan, Canada. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 94, 80-90.
32. Wu, C., A. Gonsamo, C.M. Gough, J.M. Chen & S. Xu (2014). Modeling growing season phenology in North American forests using seasonal mean vegetation indices from MODIS. Remote Sensing of Environment 147, 79-88.
31. Wu, C., R.A. Hember, J.M. Chen, W.A. Kurz, D.T. Price, C. Boisvenue, A. Gonsamo & W. Ju (2014). Accelerating Forest Growth Enhancement due to Climate and Atmospheric Changes in British Colombia, Canada over 1956-2001. Scientific Reports, 4, 4461.
30. Gonsamo A. & P. D’Odorico (2014). Citizen science: best practices to remove observer bias in trend analysis. International Journal of Biometeorology, 58, 2159-2163.
29. Pfeifer, M., V. Lefebvre, A. Gonsamo, P.K.E. Pellikka, R.A. Marchant, D. Denu, & P.J. Platts (2014). Validating and linking the GIMMS leaf area index (LAI3g) with environmental controls in East Africa. Remote Sensing, 6(3), 1973-1990.
28. Gonsamo A. & J.M. Chen (2014). Continuous observation of leaf area index at Fluxnet-Canada sites. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 189–190, 168-174.
27. D’Odorico P., A. Gonsamo, B. Pinty, N. Gobron, N. Coops, E. Mendez, and M.E. Schaepman (2014). Intercomparison of Fractional Absorbed Photosynthetically Active Radiation Products derived from Satellite Data over Europe. Remote Sensing of Environment, 142, 141–154.
26. Wu, C., A. Gonsamo, F. Zhang, and J.M. Chen (2014). The potential of the greenness and radiation (GR) model to interpret 8-day gross primary production of vegetation. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 88, 69–79.
25. Gonsamo, A., and J.M. Chen (2014). Improved LAI algorithm implementation to MODIS data by incorporating background, topography and foliage clumping information. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 52, 1076 – 1088.
24. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen, C. Boisvenue, W.A. Kurz, D.T. Price, C. Wu, R.A. Hember & K.H. Chang (2013). Improved assessment of gross and net primary productivity of Canada’s landmass. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 118, 1546–1560.
23. Wu, C., C.M. Gough, J.M. Chen, and A. Gonsamo (2013). Evidence of autumn phenology control on annual net ecosystem productivity in two deciduous forests. Ecological Engineering, 60, 88–95.
22. Gonsamo A., J.M. Chen, and C. Wu (2013). Citizen Science: linking the recent rapid advances of plant flowering in Canada with climate variability. Scientific Reports, 3, 2239. Related blog post in Nature magazine publishing group: Citizen Science: A Hobby with implications.
21. Gonsamo, A., P. D’Odorico, and P. Pellikka (2013). Measuring fractional forest canopy element cover and openness–definitions and methodologies revisited. Oikos, 122, 1283-1291. PDF. Related blog post: Fish eye view of forest canopies.
20. Wu C., J.M. Chen, A. Black, D.T. Price, W.A. Kurz, A.R. Desai, A. Gonsamo, R.S. Jassal, C.M. Gough, G. Bohrer, D. Dragoni, M. Herbst, B. Gielen, F. Berninger, T. Vesala, I. Mammarella, K. Pilegaard, and P.D. Blanken (2013). Interannual variability of net ecosystem productivity in forests is explained by carbon flux phenology in autumn. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 22, 994-1006.
19. Gonsamo, A., J.M. Chen, and P. D’Odorico (2013). Deriving land surface phenology indicators from CO2 eddy covariance measurements. Ecological Indicators, 29, 203-207.
18. Gonsamo A., and J.M. Chen (2013). Spectral response function comparability among 21 satellite sensors for vegetation monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 1319-1335. Download SRF cross-sensor correction coefficients here.
17. D’Odorico P., A. Gonsamo, A. Damm, and M.E. Schaepman (2013). Experimental evaluation of Sentinel-2 spectral response functions for NDVI time-series continuity. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 1336-1348.
16. Gonsamo, A., J. M. Chen, D. T. Price, W. A. Kurz, and C. Wu (2012). Land surface phenology from optical satellite measurement and CO2 eddy covariance technique. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 117, G03032.
15. Gonsamo, A., J.M. Chen, C. Wu, and D. Dragoni (2012). Predicting deciduous forest carbon uptake phenology by upscaling FLUXNET measurements using remote sensing data. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 165, 127-135.
14. Wu C., A. Gonsamo, J.M. Chen, W.A. Kurz, D.T. Price, P.M. Lafleur, R.S. Jassal, D. Dragoni, G. Bohrer, C.M. Gough, S.B. Verma, A.E. Suyker, and J.W. Munger (2012). Interannual and spatial impacts of phenological transitions, growing season length, and spring and autumn temperatures on carbon sequestration: A North America flux data synthesis. Global and Planetary Change, 92-93, 179-190.
13. Wu C., J.M. Chen, A. Gonsamo, D.T. Price, A. Black, and W.A. Kurz (2012). Interannual variability of net carbon exchange is related to the lag between the end-dates of net carbon uptake and photosynthesis: Evidence from long records at two contrasting forest stands. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 164, 29-38.
12. Gonsamo, A., and P. Pellikka (2012). The sensitivity based estimation of leaf area index from spectral vegetation indices. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 70, 15–25.
11. Pfeifer, M., A. Gonsamo, M. Disney, P. Pellikka, and R. Marchant (2012). Leaf area index for biomes of the Eastern Arc Mountains: Landsat and SPOT observations along precipitation and altitude gradients. Remote Sensing of Environment, 118, 103-115.
10. Gonsamo A., and J.M. Chen (2011). Evaluation of GLC2000 and NALC2005 land cover products for LAI retrieval over Canada. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 37, 302-313.
9. Gonsamo, A., J.-M.N., Walter, and P. Pellikka (2011). CIMES: A package of programs for determining canopy geometry and solar radiation regimes through hemispherical photographs. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 79, 207–215
8. Gonsamo, A. (2011). Normalized sensitivity measures for leaf area index estimation using three-band spectral vegetation indices. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32, 2069-2080.
7. Gonsamo, A., P. Pellikka, and D.J. King (2011). Large-scale leaf area index inversion algorithms from high-resolution airborne imagery. International journal of remote sensing, 32, 3897-3916.
6. Gonsamo, A., J.-M.N., Walter, and P. Pellikka (2010). Sampling gap fraction and size for estimating leaf area and clumping indices using hemispherical photography. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 40, 1588-1603. PDF
5. Gonsamo, A. (2010). Leaf area index retrieval using gap fractions obtained from high resolution satellite data: comparisons of approaches, scales and atmospheric effects. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 12, 233-248.
4. Lehouck, V., T. Spanhove, A. Gonsamo, N. Cordeiro, and L. Lens (2009). Spatial and temporal effects on recruitment of an Afromontane forest tree in a threatened fragmented ecosystem. Biological conservation, 142, 518-528.
3. Gonsamo, A., and P. Pellikka (2009). The computation of foliage clumping index using hemispherical photography. Agricultural and forest meteorology, 149, 1781-1787.
2. Gonsamo, A., and P. Pellikka (2009). A new look at the top-of-canopy gap fraction measurements from high resolution airborne imagery. EARSeL eProceedings, 8, 64-74. PDF
1. Gonsamo, A., and P. Pellikka (2008). Methodology comparison for slope correction in canopy leaf area index estimation using hemispherical photography. Forest Ecology and Management, 256,749-759. PDF
BOOKS and BOOK CHAPTERS
Gonsamo, A. (2017). EARTH and BEYOND: The latest view of the observed universe. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 84p. Nov 28, 2017. Coffee table book.
Gonsamo A., Chen J.M. (2017). Vegetation Primary Productivity. In S. Liang (Ed.), Comprehensive Remote Sensing, vol. 3, pp. 163–189. Oxford: Elsevier.
Conghe, S. J.M. Chen, T. Hwang, A. Gonsamo, H. Croft, Q. Zhang, M. Dannenberg, Y. Zhang, C. Hakkenberg, J. Li, (2015). Ecological Characterization of Vegetation Using Multisensor Remote Sensing in the Solar Reflective Spectrum. In P. S. Thenkabail (Ed.), Land Resources Monitoring, Modeling, and Mapping with Remote Sensing , 20, 40p. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
Pellikka, P.K.E., B.J.F. Clark, A. Gonsamo Gosa, N. Himberg, P. Hurskainen, E. Maeda, J. Mwang’ombe, L. M.A. Omoro & Mika Siljander (2013). Agricultural Expansion and Its Consequences in the Taita Hills, Kenya. Developments in Earth Surface Processes, 16, 165-179.48